During the February 2023 Nintendo Direct, Nintendo announced that it was adding Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games to its Nintendo Switch Online Service. Game Boy games will be available to basic subscribers, while Game Boy Advance games are available to those who subscribe to the premium expansion pack.
The surprise announcement offers a long-running Switch Online upgrade. In addition to adding old handheld games, players will be able to enable three filters on Game Boy titles: Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, and Game Boy Color.
For the Game Boy lineup, the following games available at launch today include eight classics, with more to come. Here is the current list of games available to all online subscribers today.
- Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
- Gargoyle’s Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3
- Kirby’s Dreamland
- Metroid II: Return of Samus
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 gold coins
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
- Earth Wario 3
Meanwhile, expansion pack subscribers can now play the following six titles.
- Kuru Kuru Kuruin
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit
- Mario & Luigi: The Superstar Saga
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- WarioWare: Mega MicroGames
More games will be added to the catalog in the future. Other upcoming Game Boy Advance games include fire emblem, F-Zero Max Speed, Kirby and the Incredible Mirror, Metroid FusionAnd golden sun.
The Nintendo Switch Online subscription service includes games from other retro platforms such as NES and SNES, while premium Expansion Pass Members can enjoy some Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis games.
In addition to playing these retro games, subscribers have access to other features like using cloud saves and playing multiplayer with other people.