A living legend! Rita Moreno belongs to the coveted EGOT club after winning trophies Emmy Awards, Grammy Awards, Oscars And Tony Award over the years — and she knows the importance of her membership.
“As a winner of EGOT, the award that means the most to me is the Oscar because it was my first and it’s iconic,” 80 for Brady actress91 years old, reveals exclusively in the latest issue of We Weeklyreferencing her trophy for her role as Anita Palacio in West Side Story.
She adds: “Of all my projects, I am most proud of West Side Story for all the obvious reasons in the world. It won me an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a kind of fame that I didn’t have until now.
Moreno rose to fame through her starring role in the 1961 musical about star-crossed lovers Tony and Mary. THE One day at a time alum, for her part, portrayed Anita, who was the girlfriend of Maria’s brother, Bernardo.
A redo West Side Storycrossed out by Steven Spielberg, debuted in 2021 and played Ansel Elgort And Rachel Zegler as Tony and Maria, respectively. Besides, Ariana DeBose reprized the role of Anita and the Puerto Rican native made a special appearance as the owner of the local Valentina store.
“Can you believe it? I’m beside myself”, Moreno already said We in January 2020 to join the musical nearly 60 years after the OG premiered. ” It was passionate. It was surreal talking to the girl who plays Anita, Ariana DeBose, who, by the way, is a fierce dancer. She’s fierce – far, far, far superior to what I was as a dancer. I wasn’t so much the dancers as I was the dancer/actress type.
She gushed at the time: “The children who play latinos are latinos. Can you bear it? You know what, these are their own colors. Some of them are fair-skinned, others are Afro-Latino. It is exciting. And the kids are so thrilled themselves.
THE x fast actress – who plays opposite Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Sally Field And Tom Brady In 80 for Bradywhich is currently in theaters – sat down with We For share some classic truths from his impressive career in Hollywood.
Scroll below to learn more about Moreno:
- My favorite meal to cook is any Puerto Rican [dish]like picadillo.
- Of all my projects, I am most proud of West Side Story for all the obvious reasons in the world. It gave me an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a kind of notoriety that I didn’t have before.
- My secret to looking and feeling good at 91 is that I’m blessed with great Caribbean genes.
- All I remember about my first car was that it had a rumble seat and I paid something like $100 for it.
- My favorite partner was Marlon Brando In The next night.
- The most dazzling moment I’ve ever had was meeting Clark Gable on the grounds of MGM. I was 17.
- My favorite movie is the new movie women who talk.
- A souvenir that I took from the set is my 80 for Brady jewel swimsuit signed by Tom [Brady] himself.
- On a typical Sunday afternoon, you would find me taking a nap.
- My favorite items in my wardrobe are 75 pairs of shoes!
- My favorite room in my house is the kitchen.
- As an EGOT winner, the award that means the most to me is the Oscar because it was my first and it’s iconic.
- One place I would love to go is Lake Como, Italy, because it’s romantic and beautiful.
- My favorite book is The road by Cormac McCarthy.
- The actress I admired the most growing up was Elizabeth Taylor.
- One thing everyone should know about Marlon Brando is that he had the greatest sense of humor of everyone I’ve known.
- My celebrity crush growing up was John Derek.
- I have beautiful skin naturallyso the only beauty product I’ve ever used is moisturizer.
- The roles I was dying to get but didn’t do were all Meryl Streep did.
- My secret skills is that I love to make pencil drawings.
- A common misconception about me is that I work out. I don’t know!
- My alternative profession would be a child psychologist.
- The song that brings back the best memories is “Dream” from the 1940s.
- My favorite gift I received is my daughter Fernanda [Luisa Gordon].
- The character that stood out to me the most is [West Side Story’s] Anita.