Spotify has announcement a new “AI DJ” feature, which she says is a “whole new way to listen on Spotify and connect even deeper with the artists you love. The feature will offer a “curated lineup of music accompanied by commentary on the tracks and artists we think you’ll like in an incredibly realistic voice.”
What is Spotify’s new AI DJ feature?
In a blog post announcing the new AI DJ feature, Spotify explains that this DJ “knows you and your musical tastes well enough” to “reinvent the way users listen on Spotify”. The DJ function takes into account OpenAI technology combined with a “dynamic AI voice” as well as Spotify’s personalization technology.
The AI DJ feature is basically designed to create an endless stream of radio station style music based on your listening history and habits. The AI DJ voice will transition songs like what you would hear on a traditional radio station with an explanation of why they chose the song, when you last listened to it, and more.
The company describes these components:
- Spotify’s personalization technology, which gives you a range of music recommendations based on what we know you like.
- Generative AI through the use of OpenAI technology. We put this in the hands of our music publishers to provide you with relevant information about the music, artists or genres you are listening to. The expertise of our editors is something that is really important to our philosophy at Spotify.
- We have genre experts who know the music and culture inside and out. And no one knows the music scene better than them. With this generative AI tool, our editors are able to extend their innate knowledge in ways never before possible.
- A dynamic AI voice platform from our Sonantic acquisition that brings incredibly realistic voices to life from text.
Spotify says AI DJ is available today in beta, and you can find it by following these steps:
- Access your music stream on the homepage in the Spotify mobile app on your iOS or Android device.
- Press Play on the DJ card.
- Let Spotify do the rest. The DJ will serve up a musical lineup accompanied by short commentary on songs and artists, chosen just for you.
- Can’t feel the vibe? Simply tap the DJ button at the bottom right of the screen to switch to a different genre, artist or mood.
It’s honestly quite an impressive feature and serves as an interesting example of OpenAI technology being used in the wild. Watch a demo video of the feature below and let us know what you think in the comments.
FTC: We use revenue-generating automatic affiliate links. More.